Ye Olde Berry Tavern
The Berry Tavern opened in 1741 and was renovated in 1898; renamed Ye Olde Berry Tavern. This sign hung outside until the Tavern closed around 1930, being replaced by the bank building. It can now be viewed in the current Berry Tavern at 2 High Street Danvers Square.
A house of public entertainment was situated at the intersection of four principle streets in the Town of Danvers since the mid 1700’s. John Porter was the original owner. Ebenezer Berry purchased the property at the corner of Conant and High Street in 1804. The establishment became the Berry Tavern in 1808. In 1838 the original tavern building was divided in three parcels and a new structure was built in its place. Between 1838 and 1890 the establishment changed management several times and was known as the Putnam House, Naumkeag House, Howard House and Hotel Danvers.
During the history of the location, the military congregated to elect officers, the lyceum met and selectmen and assessors held sessions. Benedict Arnold camped on the tavern grounds on his way thru Massachusetts to attack Quebec. In 1898, after a significant renovation, the establishment became Ye Olde Berry Tavern and operated as such until the early 1930’s. In the early 1900’s Danvers was coming into prominence as a summer resort for those who wanted to enjoy the beauties of the country but who were compelled by the business to remain within easy traveling distance of the city. Danvers was within 4 miles of Salem and 18 miles from Boston. At one point there were 40 trains per day servicing Danvers. The express train taking 42 minutes. ~ Bob Wight
Thanks to Bob Wight, Ashley and Joe Bono, the sign is on exhibit in the current Berry Tavern. Read the story.